Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What does success look like



I was reading a blog today from a wise Dean and the question that was posed was if good or great are valid points of references for company's today? Jim Collin's book titled "Good to Great" is a good book for sure, however the thought there assumes that one is already good. So I began to ponder on this, and asked the question "What does success look like?"

Success for many people can be defined by the size of the paycheck they bring home. For others it is the number of children they have running around their feet to watch over and pour themselves into. For a horse jockey, it is making it over all the elements in a course without falling, and in the best time.

I have found success to be comprised of a vast array of things. But at the heart of it all, success is measured by the love we gave to others and the love we allow ourselves to receive. It was said of Jesus in Matthew 28:20 "For Christ did not come to be served but to serve, giving His life up as a ransom for many." I am stirred by this as I also ponder the purpose of the great University for which I get to work. For the founding vision by our late Chancellor Oral Roberts, was to "Raise up your students to hear My voice, to go where My light is dim, where My voice is heard small, and My healing power is not known, even to the uttermost bounds of the earth. Their work will exceed yours, and in this I am well pleased."

I see these as complimentary and powerfully interwoven. I then take that principal and apply it to the business realm. I am to take the healing power of God while hearing His voice, to the furthest places of the earth. This means that as I serve God's purpose and walk in the knowledge of the Holy Spirit and His voice, I am raised up and I have power not in who I am, but in Christ that allows me to do amazing things. To dial that in at a more practical level, in a world where excellence is dwindling and hard to find, I am to bring excellence into my company. I am to bring creative ideas that no one else has thought of that can "heal" a situation.

I welcome other thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment