Monday, November 8, 2010

Time - alarms vs schedules


Time- it's something we all have the exact same amount of, and yet it's the application of management to that time that can change a day from nothing much to very productive and accomplish a lot of things that we wanted to do. I have been talking with my class I teach at ORU about time management and utilizing the various methods and tools available to them to help make sure they complete the items necessary within a given day or time period. I have found myself having to utilize two platforms for myself- 1) iPhone 4 - Yes- my wife and I have them and have had them since July, but I have had to adjust my technique's of reminding myself to get things done and my wife has been a good inspiration and reminder of how to use the alarms and calendar events to not forget what's coming up and things to do. 2) Paper print out of my office calendar. In as much as I want to not waste paper, I have found that if I can actually have something handy to write things down onto and look back at it and make new notes, then the things I think about or talk to someone about doing, don't get lost in the shuffle of my meetings and actions.

If I may elaborate on this subject for just a bit- I began to think about this tonight and how it's so easy for us to turn ourselves into alarms about our time. Think about it, are we waiting until a certain time and then reacting to it, like an expense that is coming up, or a meeting, and instead of preparing, we BBRRRRINGGGGG- react and go off?! Or as an alternative, what if we were to be a schedule that is able to be adjusted, make notes and be fluid throughout the times to work ahead and to accomplish much more so that the alarms are going off as simple reminders of what you have already done and are ready for, rather than what has just come up.

So, with that, I am following my schedule which says I need sleep in a day! So, until next time, which won't be as long in between either, have a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment